Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:36:04 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        stable list <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 12.0 installworld core dumping on me

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 07:51:34AM -0500, Bob Willcox wrote:
> I installed the 20190418 12.0-STABLE snapshot and then checking out the latest 12.0-STABLE source code
> and performing a 'make buildworld' when I attempt to do a 'make installworld' I get this:
>
> root@darth:3 /usr/src> make installworld
> make[1]: "/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/toolchain-metadata.mk" line 1: Using cached toolchain metadata from build at darth.immure.com on Mon Apr 22 19:54:57 CDT 2019
> Illegal instruction (core dumped)
> rescue/sh check failed, installation aborted
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/src
>
> This leaves me with a rescue.core file in the /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64 directory.
>
> The toolchain-metadata.mk file contains this:
>
> .info Using cached toolchain metadata from build at darth.immure.com on Mon Apr 22 19:54:57 CDT 2019
> _LOADED_TOOLCHAIN_METADATA=t
> COMPILER_VERSION=80000
> X_COMPILER_VERSION=80000
> COMPILER_TYPE=clang
> X_COMPILER_TYPE=clang
> COMPILER_FEATURES= c++11 retpoline
> X_COMPILER_FEATURES= c++11 retpoline
> COMPILER_FREEBSD_VERSION=1200018
> X_COMPILER_FREEBSD_VERSION=1200018
> LINKER_VERSION=80000
> X_LINKER_VERSION=80000
> LINKER_FEATURES= build-id ifunc filter retpoline
> X_LINKER_FEATURES= build-id ifunc filter retpoline
> LINKER_TYPE=lld
> X_LINKER_TYPE=lld
> LINKER_FREEBSD_VERSION=356365-1200007
> X_LINKER_FREEBSD_VERSION=356365-1200007
> .export COMPILER_VERSION  COMPILER_TYPE  COMPILER_FEATURES  COMPILER_FREEBSD_VERSION  LINKER_VERSION  LINKER_FEATURES  LINKER_TYPE  LINKER_FREEBSD_VERSION
> .export X_COMPILER_VERSION X_COMPILER_TYPE X_COMPILER_FEATURES X_COMPILER_FREEBSD_VERSION X_LINKER_VERSION X_LINKER_FEATURES X_LINKER_TYPE X_LINKER_FREEBSD_VERSION
>

> Anyone have any idea on what might be the cause or how best to proceed with debugging this?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Well, it turns out that the following line that I placed in the system's
make.conf file was the culprit:

CPUTYPE?=       skx

Removing it and rebuilding world allowed 'make installworld' to run. I had
just tried that on a lark since the CPU is an I7-9700k which is a Coffee Lake
processor and is newaer than Skylake so I thought...what the heck, give it a
try. Bad idea.

The compiler must be generating instructions that aren't compatible with my
CPU.  Removal of that line in make.conf seems to have gotten me fixed. :)

Bob

--
Bob Willcox    | "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion
bob@immure.com | without the discomfort of thought."