Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:18:01 +0200
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>
Subject:   Re: IA64

Michael Elbel wrote on freebsd-chat:

> Well, all I can say is that in a former life at a former company we
> were indeed building workstations with i860 processors and only
> those. Intel *themselves* supplied a SYSVR4 port to the i860 that we
> used as the base of our own version.

I hope I am not giving you away when I mention that this must have
been the Cadmus Firebox, the only general-purpose machine based on the
i860 I have ever heard about. At that time, I had a bet running with a
friend of mine -- he said that at latest at the end of the second year
after that one ('92 sounds right, so we targeted end of '94) there
would be cheap i860 workstations at less than DEM 30000(*). The
Firebox sold for more than twice as much.

(*) something between USD 15000 and 20000 at the time

He not only lost the bet, but could not name a *single* other i860
workstation. That made for a fine carton of champagne, which we emptied
together (and with some friends).

> I believe that Gary Jennejohn still uses one of the beasts as an X
> terminal.

Cool. Does anybody have one for sale? :-)

Greetings,
--
Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>
Tellique Kommunikationstechnik GmbH