Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:26:36 -0400
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul+fbsd@it.ca>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   portlint's FATAL warnings

New problem category, new thread.  :)  I guess this is more of a port
policy question at this point.

I'm assembling a port that needs to take some liberties either eith the
order of variables or with the method of file collection.  I'd like to
know what to compromise, and whether FATAL errors from portlint on a
port that works fine and appears structurally superior is something to
worry about.  The FATAL errors I get are:

 FATAL: URL "http://hostname/path/:0" should end with "/".
 FATAL: extra item "EXTRACT_ONLY" placed in the MAINTAINER section.
 FATAL: extra item "MASTER_SITES" placed in the MAINTAINER section.
 FATAL: extra item "DISTFILES" placed in the MAINTAINER section.
 FATAL: COMMENT has to be there.

The Makefile that's being interpreted includes:

 MASTER_SITES=	http://hostname/path/morepath/:0
 DISTFILES=	${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}${EXTRACT_SUFX}:0

 .if !defined(NOPORTDOCS)
 EXTRACT_ONLY=	${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}${EXTRACT_SUFX}
 MASTER_SITES+=	http://hostname/path/:1
 DISTFILES+=	somefile.html:1
 .endif

 MAINTAINER=	...@...
 COMMENT=	text

As I say, this all *works*, but it's complex and generates erroneous
complaints.  A "simple" solution is to use:

 post-fetch:
	@test -f ${DISTDIR}/somefile.html || \
	${FETCH_CMD} -o ${DISTDIR} http://hostname/path/somefile.html

 post-install:
	@${INSTALL_DATA} ${DISTDIR}/somefile.html ${DOCSDIR}

(I use `test -f` because ${DISTDIR} doesn't seem to be recognized inside
a .if exists().)

This makes portlint happy, and shrinks the Makefile a little, while
eliminating the checksum on the html file.

The Porter's Handbook (15.12) suggests that shortness and readability
are important ... but in the overall scheme of things, how important is
a checksum on an HTML file, and just how important is portlint's output?
Should I stick with the test/fetch, or use the longer (better?) method?

Thanks.

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Abuse / Whatever