Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 23:11:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Stan Brown" <stanb@awod.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   FreeBSD Netscape and a SOCKS firewall

	I have a laptop which can boot either FreeBSD or NT. At work this
	machine is behind a SOCKS firewall. Runing NT Netscape can access sites
	outside of the firewall. Runing FreeBSD it cannot.

	The machine has the same IP address in eihter case. The people at work
	say the only thing needed to make it work is to put the SOCKS IP
	address and port number in the manual proxy configuration, and indeed
	I am failry certain that this what they did to make the NT Netscape
	work.

	I put the same info in the FreeBSD Netscape, but it does not work. The
	errror message I am getting says that it cannot lookup this machine (my
	laptop) in the DNS. Indeed it's not in the DNS, but then neither is it
	when runing NT.

	I really _hate_ having to boot NT just to browse the web.

	Sugestions?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    843-745-3154
Westvaco