Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 23:39:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        silby@silby.com
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, cce@clarkevans.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: pmap_enter (closed, thanks!)

In message: <20020312202021.V16449-100000@patrocles.silby.com>
            Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com> writes:
:
: On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
:
: > I'm glad the non-8:1 ratio works.  I thought that it should;
: > the only suspicious code, from my point of vies, was the frag
: > mask calculation.  And I had a real hard time believing it to
: > be wrong, except for Mike's claim that it was broken, since I
: > haven't personally had problems with it.  8-(.
: >
: > -- Terry
:
: It's not my claim, it's Luigi Rizzo and Warner Losh's claim.  I haven't
: had any personal experience with such ratios, but I trust that if those
: two are pointing the finger, there is a problem.

I have strong circumstantial evidence that weird things happen when
you don't have 8:1, but not when you have it.  I haven't been able to
pin things down enough to get a good bug report, however.  Maybe it is
a red herring, but making only that change to a mfs mount creation (eg
4:1 -> 8:1) turns a system from a hang bait on boot (1 in 4 boots
hang) to rock solid (> 1000 boots w/o a hang).

Warner