Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:07:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   mergemaster wishlist

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:53:51 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> >	Yes, thanks. This is close to the top of the wishlist.
>

> Where is the wishlist for mergemaster?
> Is it kept anywhere visible?

	Define visible. :) I have a project list of things that people
have asked for that I plan to include. It's not very long, but see below.

> I have one thing I have been thinking on giving it a try in a
> few weeks.
> Changing mergemaster to indicate files to be either ignored or
> copied. Kind of an exception file.
> Haven't looked at the code so I don't know how difficult it
> would be.

	It's not terribly difficult, it's just expensive computationally
(although we're still talking about a relatively trivial expense,
comparitively). The big problem with this idea is that I really hate it. I
mean REALLY REALLY hate it. It violates one of the central design goals
that I established for the thing way back when.

> The basic idea is that there are files which ones knows in
> advance what one wants done with the file. For example I always
> move the locate script from weekly to daily. I don't want
> mergemater to stop to tell me  the file is missing. So this file
> would be ignored.

	There are better ways to handle that. For example, you could leave
an empty file with the same CVS Id in the "real" location. Then you won't
be bothered by mm telling you that it's missing, AND you have the added
benefit of knowing when it needs to be updated.

> The other case is files which one want copied without questions.
> All the files in /etc/defaults I never touch so I would prefer
> them to be merged without questions.

	But if there are changes you SHOULD look to see what the changes
are. I am working on an addition to mm that will show you how your
rc.conf[.local] and make.conf file variables differ from those in
/etc/defaults, but even that isn't foolproof.

	All that said, this is a frequent request (every couple months it
pops up) so I am working on a way to do it which will satisfy the
requestors and me both. Please don't ask about timelines, my life is
rather chaotic right now.

Thanks for your interest,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire