Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:21:44 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps segfaults since I overclocked. and worries.

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> overclocking is a problem with most all machines, don't do it. <-- period

This isn't a hardware problem, everything works fine, the machine runs
solidly all day. Every ISA/PCI device (all disks included, all the ram
everything is fine), even under heavy load (I made about 10 different
kernels in a row to try and find the problem, all make -j8, and nothing
crashed at all, just the normal builds)

Anyway, All I've done is upped the bus speed slightly and the processor is
running only a little bit faster (it's a 166 really), besides I've been
informed that the 166MMX i've got is probably a 200, because the suppliers
in the UK apparently ran out of 166's and rebadged 200's at the time I
bought mine. Don't know whetyher I beleive this or not, but then it's only
at most 11% faster than it should be.

So, I'm pretty certain the hardware isn't failing, but that something in
FreeBSD might just not like using an odd bus speed. Which is fine, apart
from it's quite okay to clock some processors and busses at these speeds
and someone else is probably going to have much the same problem when
these settings are the default. (e.g an owner of a 6x86MX at 188Mhz with a
bus speed of 75Mhz.)

	Steve.

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/