Date:      Fri, 16 May 2003 09:59:52 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Optimizations.

In message <20030516070732.GT45118@garage.freebsd.pl>, Pawel Jakub Dawidek writ
es:

>On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 11:14:43PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
>+> What about "gettimeofday()"?  There are a number of applications,
>+> particularly HTTP protocol applications, with strict timestamp
>+> logging requirements, mandated by standards.  The tend to call
>+> gettimeofday() up to six times per transaction.  Examples will
>+> include HTTP proxies, L7 load balancers, and proxy caches.  Any
>+> box competing in the Cisco CSS/F5 falls into this category.

Terry, you should have your own late-night chat show.

That way you could be funny for the people who have nothing else
to do than watch late-night television showing ill informed people
trying to be funny without knowing what they talk about.

More importantly, it would remove you from where I have to listen
to your silly drivel.

Even a cursory glance at our source code, something I am of course
fully aware that you are not guilty off, would teach you a few
interesting facts, something I'm equally aware that you have
successfully resisted for the last 10 years.

But for the benefit of the remainder of hackers@:

gettimeofday() is the least of apaches problems:  It is already
a totally lockless systemcall.

>That's right:)
>Look at functions in /sys/kern/kern_tc.c. There are so many little
>functions. How about put __inline here and there?

Try it, and you'll find that things get slower because the code
gets bigger.

>And second thing. Does anybody think about representing time in BCD code?

Yes, I remember when we did things like that, on computers which
operated naturally on BCD fields, and therefore tended to have a
chance of calculating delta-times in finite times.

Modern computers however, are binary.