Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 96 11:10:47 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/editors/bpatch/pkg COMMENT

> As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>> Nobody ever said that english was a language
>> that made much sense, hell, it's a walking card-catalog of special
>> cases.  It's often a matter of great wonder to me that non-native
>> speakers learn it at all!
>
> Same holds true for German.

Not at all.  German is one of the most uniform languages in Europe,
presumably because the syntax was defined, against common usage, by
clerics who wanted to make it look more like Latin.  Thus the verbs at
the end of subordinate clauses--they didn't exist in German before the
15th century.

> Perhaps that's the reason why it ain't too difficult for us learning
> English? ;-)

No, that's because English was originally also a German dialect
(Saxon, even :-).

Greg