Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:44:20 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re[2]: subversion broken with apache2 now in ports

Hello Sean,

Thursday, July 8, 2004, 10:10:33 AM, you wrote:

>> I just tried to do a portupgrade -af on my machine (-CURRENT amd64) and
>> found that something has changed that causes subversion to be broken.
>> >From what I can tell, it appears that a library (libaprutil-0.so.9) has
>> been moved from /usr/local/lib to /usr/local/lib/apache2.  subversion
>> can no longer find this library when anything runs because there is no
>> rpath set for it.  Also, I get the following when I try to start up
>> apache2:
>>
>> Starting apache2.
>> Syntax error on line 284 of /usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
>> Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache2/mod_dav_svn.so into server:
>> Shared object "libaprutil-0.so.9" not found, required by
>> "libsvn_repos-1.so.0"
SM> It is neither correct nor appropriate to require the addition of a
SM> subdirectory (i.e. /usr/local/lib/apache2) to be in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
SM> or added to ldconfig.  This is essentially what I have to do now.  I
SM> have added /usr/local/lib/apache2 to /etc/ld-elf.so.conf.

SM> As it stands, when subversion and apache2 are installed neither of them
SM> work "out of the box".  You are forced to do something like add the
SM> path as mentioned above.  One of the following items should be
SM> fixed:

SM> subversion and apache2 should have all libraries in
SM> /usr/local/lib/apache2 linked in with rpaths

  Yes, if I add "LDFLAGS+= -rpath /usr/local/lib/apache2", `svn' works. But "make install" fails: libtool denies to install "mod_dav_svn.la" into "/isr/local/libexec/apache2" in such case. it want "/usr/local/lib/apache2"!

  So, it is not a soultion :(

  May be it is possible to override this?

SM> or
SM> shared libraries in /usr/local/lib/apache2 should be moved back to
SM> /usr/local/lib.
 I'm repeating: IMHO, it is best solution. But I could not change this.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev@FreeBSD.org