Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 20:16:37 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        wkt@cs.adfa.edu.au
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lowering securelevel from console?

In message <199905220119.LAA15588@henry.cs.adfa.edu.au> Warren Toomey writes:
: I think I understand the issue: if someone can break in as root, at the
: present they cannot lower the securelevel without rebooting the system.

That is the design goal.  Modulo bugs in device drivers, that is the
case.

: I'd still like to have the ability to temporarily lower the securelevel
: without having to suffer the delay of a reboot. Is this essentially
: infeasible, or are there any ways of authenticating the `real' super-user?

options DDB in your kernel.  However, that assumes that physical
posession of the console (or the ability to get to it if it is a
serial console) is secure enough.

Warner