Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2002 02:14:09 -0500
From:      Chris Demers <admin@govital.net>
To:        knu@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: portupgrade-20020103

Greetings,

I have a suggestion for the ports system that has been bugging me for a
while, ever since I started using the portupgrade program.  It would be
nice if the ports sub system would remember what command line options
were used when a port has been built.  Or maybe having the option of
being able to modify what commands will be subsequently sent on a per
port basis.  A couple good examples would be the MySQL Port, have it
after it builds make a manual change to the options cache to tell MAKE
on subsequent calls to upgrade and not update the databases, right now
it fails because the data bases are present.  Or another example when
building MOD Python, you need to build it WITHOUT_THREADS=1 for it to
compile correctly.  Having all of this information available stored in
the /var/db/pkg/{portname}/ directory for each port would be great in
some config file of some kind.  Even when just rebuilding by hand you
can go back and check what options were used originally to build the
package and make have the option of using them again on a manual build
some how, but that is not as important as making the automatic
portupgrade program a little smarter as to what it does so that after
the process is done less has to be either fixed by hand because of build
failures.

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.  I really like the program,
just some ideas for some improvements.

Chris Demers
admin@govital.net
www.govital.net