Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:39:58 -0400
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backport of atapi-cd to -STABLE

Welp, there's the answer.. again I just leave it on as an option..  But
according to my assorted list of readmes and all, it was eventually fixed..
I'd just try without, and then if the samples are crap, just run it back
through again.. Theres some drives (The Sony 16x I had here, and some
Toshiba models) that claim to do Raw mode, but the results are absolutely
atrocious..
I don't interface hardware, I interface software.. :-)

At 01:14 PM 9/23/98 -0700, you wrote:
>> Jitter correction is for the crappy (older) CD-ROMs.. Some sort of a thing
>> about the lens jittering during use that can cause problems with generating
>> files in RAW mode.
>>
>> Basically, it removes the problem.. I don't know the logistics of the code
>> or anything, but it doesnt seem to make problems with my newer scsi drives
>> to just 'leave it enabled'..
>
>Jitter correction has to do with fixing up the raw audio data, it has
>nothing to do with the digital side of things.  "len jitter" wouldn't
>affect the audio data - when a bit comes off the disk it's either a 1
>or a 0, and it either passes the DRS check or it's fixed if it's wrong.
>
>--
>\\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
>\\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
>\\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
>\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us