Date:      Fri, 23 May 2008 18:00:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, avg@icyb.net.ua
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to create a directory under /dev?

Andriy Gapon wrote:
 > But, by the way, there is a (slightly) more valid reason to want to
 > create a directory under /dev, I recently had it. For one non-standard
 > third-party application I needed to create a link to existing device in
 > a certain subdirectory. I.e.:
 > /dev/subdirX/device -> /dev/deviceX
 > And I couldn't do that.

You could create a directory elsewhere and use UNIONFS to
merge it with your existing /dev.  I haven't tried this,
but I think it should work.

# mkdir /mydev
# mount -t unionfs -o below /mydev /dev
# cd /mydev
# mkdir subdirX
# ln -s /dev/deviceX subdirX/device

The "-o below" option is used so that any modifications on
/dev -- such as creating symlinks -- still happen on the
real /dev, not on /mydev.

Best regards
   Oliver

Passwords are like underwear.  You don't share them,
you don't hang them on your monitor or under your keyboard,
you don't email them, or put them on a web site,
and you must change them very often.