Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 19:03:38 -0700
From:      "Mitch James" <mitch@hardware.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Private network & routing to the internet via PPP w/one

On 24 Sep 96 at 8:55, Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Mitch James wrote:
                  ---Snip---
> > I have one IP via PPP to a local ISP.  I am using the BSD box to connect
> > and want to route the private network IP's in and out to the Internet.
> > I'm using a 3com 509 eithernet card to the Win95 machines.  I'm able to
> > telnet into the BSD box but not though to the Inet.  My question is: Can
> > FreeBSD 2.1.5 route the trafic for a private IP network as it comes on the
> > CD-Rom without any other software?  or Must I use SOCK5 ? Are there other
> > options to SOCKS5?
>
> Question:  Are the private LAN's IP addresses Internet-legal?  If yes, you
> should be able to enable gatewaying in /etc/sysconfig and all should be
> well.  If not, you'll have to use SOCKS or NAT as a proxy server.

Not sure if the private network RFC 1597 IP's  192.168.x.x are
concidered legal.  I've set up my private network using this series
of IP's.  The Win95 machine can telnet into the BSD box just fine and
then out. I want to be able to have my office use the Windoze
programs to shield them from a real OS. ;-)

	---snip---
> Yes, there is a socks5 port at
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/net/socks5

Thanks......  I must go have my eyes checked.

> Perhaps we can add this ppp<->internet gatewaying mess to a FAQ. It's the
> Question Of The Month.  :-)

Absolutly!
Thanks again for the help.
Cheers,
Mitch
 Mitch James--Poulsbo, Wa           Living near Latte' Land
 mitch@hardware.com	         James Lumber & Ace Hardware
 http://www.hardware.com/            Webmaster@waweb.com
             http://www.hardware.com/complist.html