Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 19:29:19 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing question (not really freebsd specific)

Stefano Riva writes:
> At 10.48 04/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >I have some output (from a mainframe) which is 132 columns
> >wide (just plain text.)
> (...)
> >wide text output - produce a postscript file; which I could
> >then run through ghostscript to print on my HP Deskjet?
>
>   Try a2ps.

IMHO /usr/ports/print/a2ps43-letter/ is the way to go. Old version 4.3
is much smaller and simpler than the latest and greatest do-all.

You probably want to print your 132 columns sideways in landscape mode.
By default a2ps4.3 prints a frame around your text, headers, footers,
page numbers, time stamps, etc. Possibly more than you might wish. The
latest a2ps does similar but when it first came out I was turned off by
its size (over 1.5 MB vs 40k) and didn't like its similar but different
format on the printed page.

Ghostscript is a good idea to install too. Lets you look at the output
before chopping down trees. With that said, you probably want to try
both versions of a2ps also. Same price. Its only your time...  :-)