Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 21:46:43 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: does phkmalloc check bounds?

Christoph P. Kukulies stands accused of saying:

> Without having looked at phkmalloc - where is it hidden in the
> source tree BTW - I wonder if it does bounds checking, that is
> allocate a bit more on every malloc, initialize the extra bytes
> with a magic pattern and see if it is invalidated next time
> an alloc routine is entered.

Read the code; it's pretty easy to follow.  I've retrofitted it into
libc on all our -stable systems here; it's great for catching _stupid_
programming mistakes!

> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

Performance be damned, it's saved me more time in bugfixing than any
performance gain could; hat off to phk.

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[