Date:      Sat, 01 Jun 2002 14:44:31 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Improving GNU make compatibility in BSD make (+ patch)

Ian wrote:
> On 05/31/02 19:53, Jos Backus wrote:
> > Fyi: it appears nobody is really interested in having BSD make and GNU make
> > converge a little, so I am not going waste any more time on this.
>
> Actually, I think it's a great idea.  It should make life much easier for
> people creating and maintaining ports.  The tone of Terry's reply to your
> mail seemed to be "My opinion is the only one that counts here and I
> disagree with you."  My advice would be to not mistake the sheer volume of
> Terry's constant bitching at anyone trying to do real productive work with
> anything FreeBSD-policy-like.

That's not really fair.

*I'm* the one who pointed out that, so far, he only got four
opinions, other than his own, and that it was "Memorial Day Week",
and the opinions were split equally for those actually expressing
something other than "I don't care", so throwing in the towel too
easily was a bad thing.

It's really annoying that you've attempted to dismiss my concerns
as "bitching".

If you think it's a good idea, then please, argue on technical merit;
I've restricted myself to technical arguments, the least you could do
is to do the same.

As to your statement "It should make life much easier for > people
creating and maintaining ports.": No, it won't.

What it will do is result in some small subset of ports that expect
GNU make working with BSD make, until some random point in the future,
when they use a GNU make feature that's not implemented.

You either need to make it a superset, or you need to not bother.

The intersection set is not useful, particularly if it takes part
of the name space, and doesn't give back any new functionality.

BSD make can't afford this, since it has an historical tradition
of using single characters for options.  The GNU tradition, if
there is one, is to add features that take a paragraph to invoke
(e.g. if we go down this road, we are on the road to getopt_long
problems, like those recently discussed in -ports and -current).

BSD make must be extremely frugal with its name space, because it
is so small, compared to the name space of GNU make.

There are already problems with name space collisions with other
BSD make implementations symbol option variables.

If I had to make a choice between slowly converging on GNU make
vs. just switching over to GNU make, I would say that FreeBSD
ought to "just switch over".

I would object to that, since it would bloat Makefiles, and make
us incompatabile with other BSDs.

As you redundantly point out (since I've already pointed it out
three times, now, belieing your characterization of "bitching"
so that you can avoid the technical problems with your position),
yeah, that's my opinion.  But it's one informed by 22 years of
programming experience.

-- Terry