Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2013 13:01:40 +0200
From:      Fabian Wenk <fabian@wenks.ch>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perl upgrade woes -- how to best reconcile?

Hello Chris

On 09.07.2013 20:24, Chris H wrote:
> Greetings Fabian, and thank you for your reply.

You're welcome.

> My perl5 tree currently looks like:
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.12/man/
> man3/
> whatis
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.12.4/
> man3/
> whatis
> What a mess!

If only whatis is left below 5.12.4, then you can remove the
whole 5.12.4 folder. And also
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.12.4/, if it does exist and does
not contain anything relevant.

> In the end, I guess the moral of the story is; don't upgrade.

This is a bad idea, at least from the security point of view.

> I've been on BSD since the late 70's, and as such, am no stranger
> to the upgrade path. But recent experience seems to show, things
> aren't getting any easier (or necessarily better). :(

Sure, there are sometimes bumps on the road, but I had never any
real show stopper and could always get it to work. I did install
my two private servers back in 2007 with 6.x, upgraded to 7.x and
just recently from 7.4 to 9.1. For the Ports I always used
portupgrade. At least for the Ports it helps if you are doing it
regularly, so the steps are not that huge. Important to always
check /usr/ports/UPDATING. Currently I do upgrade the Ports
around every 4 weeks, and additional when portaudit complains and
I decide that I need to do it right now.

>> The next big challenge then will be the upgrade to e.g. 5.14.x or
>> 5.16.x.
>
> I don't think I'm even willing to go there, after this mess.

As Mark pointed out, ports-mgmt/poudriere together with pkgng
(ports-mgmt/pkg) looks promising. Sure something I did put on my
todo list.

> Thanks again, for taking the time to respond.

You're welcome.

PS: No need to use "reply all", reply only to the list is
perfect, as I do filter e-mails based on the "List-Id" header line.

bye
Fabian