Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 1995 13:48:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        tjackson@tulsix.utulsa.edu (Tom Jackson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, tjackson@tulsix.utulsa.edu
Subject:   Re: Diamond Stealth SE??

> Upgrade time and yesterday I hastily agreed to a Diamond Stealth SE
> (SE = special edition?) PCI card. Its a S3 trio 732 chipset. Although
> past FAQs have warned against Diamond and the XFree86 docs don't mention
> this card, the README.S3 says it supports this chipset. The FAQ from
> comp.windows.x.i386unix says that Diamond is now supporting the XFree86
> project.
>
> I know this is not a function of the os but I'm in a bind. The install
> for motherboard and video card is next week and I sure would ...
>
> I have a few other *relavant* questions and comments about this WC cdrom
> that I will be sending shortly, but for know, this is eating my lunch!

The Diamond WWW site has the patches for making their cards work.

The chipset that you are interested being supported is not the graphics
accelerator.  All Diamond products use commonly available and thus supported
chipsets.  The problem is in the dot clocks for the scan; *that's* the
chipset you should be checking for.

And no, I don't have any idea if you will have to download code from
Diamond's WWW site and rebuild XFree86 from sources or not to make that
particular card work.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---