Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:58:20 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        Wesley Shields <wxs@atarininja.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My First Port

--==========46C3803F1E8A693C2288==========

--==========46B3A4C5DC5BB4135734==========

--On July 5, 2007 9:21:04 AM -0400 Wesley Shields <wxs@atarininja.org>=20
wrote:

>>  Speaking of difficult ports.....
>>
>>  I'm working on the upgrade to security/bro.  It's a royal PITA.  The
>>  author  hardcodes destinations for everything so that the software
>>  doesn't follow  FreeBSD conventions at all, *and* there's no "master"
>>  setting that you can  alter in configure or the top level Makefile.in
>>  file.  So, I've had to edit  almost every Makefile.in in the distro to
>>  get the darn thing to behave.   Even the docs don't want to install
>>  where they should!
>>

> Paul,
>
> As I mentioned before, I took a stab at this port a while ago and came
> to the same conclusions.  I'll gladly take a look at where you are and
> see if I can help you out at all.  Can you send a patch of where you
> currently are so I can take a look?

Sure, I'd be glad to.  The only thing I'm not satisfied with at this point =

is the installation of broccoli's libraries into /usr/local/share.=20
Libraries should be installed in /usr/local/lib.  I'm using =
USE_LDCONFIG=3D=20
to specify the location (/usr/local/share), but I really shouldn't have to =

do that.  My problem is, I can't figure out where, in broccoli's configure =

and/or Makefiles that it's specifying to put the libs in share instead of=20
lib.

I've attached a tar'd gzip'd file containing patches for the existing port =

as well as all the new patch files (in FILESDIR) that I've created to=20
force this thing to install where I want it.  Any advice would be=20
appreciated.

Part of me says I should be doing all this in the port's Makefile rather=20
than patching all the Makefile.in files, but when I tried that, the=20
software created the directories anyway, even though they were empty.=20
This is, by far, the most irritating port I've ever worked on, but I'm=20
close to getting it done.

Once it's done, I'm going to create a devel port for the latest version.=20
All of this work is being done, by request, for another project that is=20
being worked on.  I was asked to update/create ports for parts that are=20
required for the project.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas