Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 06:45:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jwd@FreeBSD.ORG (John W. De Boskey)
Cc:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc

> If you want the entropy to be saved into swap, it seems
> like we should add this type of functionality to rndcontrol.
>
> rndcontrol -w /dev/da0s1b    # write entropy to end of partition
> rndcontrol -r /dev/da0s1b    # attempt to read entropy from partition

Please don't trash swap.  I still have dreams of a "Suspend"
mode that could be resumed from installation media, and get
FreeBSD up and running on a new system in 30 seconds or less.

It could also be used as a checkpoint/recovery mechanism to get
a hot spare server up and running in about the same amount of
time, assuming you can burn an image of the server you want to
replicate to a CDROM, beforehand.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---