Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 08:05:59 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, karl@mcs.net
Subject:   Re: Better VM patches (was Tentative fix for VM bug)

>> >John also suggested another change for detecting a case where page
>> >orphans can be created.  in vm_page.c, it's possible that an object
>> >entry in the page insert function will overwrite an existing entry;
>> >I added a DIAGNOSTIC panic to catch this when it happens.
>>
>>    You mean that there can be multiple pages at the same offset? It would
>> be bad if that happend, but I'm skeptical that it actually does.
>
>To elaborate: I think that the behaviour I am seeing in the "mmap'ed
>file contents, on a page boundary, written to another file" case is a
>result of a single page being in multiple maps.

   Uh, what does "single page being in multiple maps" mean exactly? What map?
Pages belong to objects. A page can belong to only one object (there's only
one set of list pointers, so nothing else is possible. :-)). If you see some
of one file show up in another, then this suggests to me that a bzero isn't
happening when it needs to, resulting in stale cached file data being
considered valid.
   I have a suggestion. Let's not throw out random guesses about what may or
may not be a problem. Let's actually understand the issue thoroghly, come up
with a fix, and then tell people all about it.

-DG

David Greenman