Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:16:03 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with de driver ?

Hi ...

I know about the autosense problem with the driver, but seems
to be something totally different.

I have the following setup:

  PII/266----------P166---------PII/266

The two PII's have Intel ether express cards while the P166
has two SMC 9332BDT cards.

I am using ttcp to generate data from the one PII to the other.
With the first, second or third try transferring the data the
de0 card on the P166 just goes dead.  I can't ping it and
there is nothing in the logs or on the console.  The de1 card
is still working fine.  I have replaced the P166 with another
P166 and the same thing happens, again de0.  I have replaced
de0 with another SMC 9332BDT and the same thing happens.

It doesn't seem to be hardware related.  When I do a
ifconfig de0 down and the up again, the card functions
again till the next ttcp transfers.  It doesn't matter in which
direction I do the transfer, the de0 dies everytime.

Any ideas ?

Reinier