Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:54:29 -0500
From:      "Derek Flowers" <djflow@my-dejanews.com>
To:        "Steve Price" <sprice@hiwaay.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@phone.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Splitting package directories [was: release disk sizes?]

I have some scripts I used to create split package directories and indexes
for sysinstall.  All that is required is a copy of the packages directory
off the ftp site.  The only prerequisite is that the package index is
complete.

Basically, I grabbed everything in the packages directory off the ftp site.
Then I split the packages into two directories, the first being all console
packages and the other all X11 packages.  First, I copied everything in the
packages directory except for the All directory to a new directory.  I then
used a script to look for all packages that have XFree86 as a dependency and
moved those packages to the new directory.  Then I run another script to
verify that all the package dependencies exist in each package directory,
those that do not get copied to the correct location.  I then run a script
to delete all non-existent links in each package directory.  Finally, I run
a script to recreate the package indexes.

The end result is that there are two package directories, each with its own
package index and complete package dependencies.  With 3.1-RELEASE, the
console packages directory can be placed on one CD along with all the
install distributions and the second X11 packages directory can be placed on
another CD.

If there is interest, I can make available the scripts I used to do this and
instructions on how they work.

-Derek