Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:24:46 +0200
From:      "Arjan" <lists@alpha.nl>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Swapping off swapspace

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Mahoney <dan@ns1.wolf.com>
To: Arjan <lists@alpha.nl>
Date: Monday, August 24, 1998 6:25 PM

>> Hi, I'm sorry for asking a really stupid question, but it's kind of
urgent
>> and I can't find the answer (and I'm more familiar with linux as I am
with
>> FreeBSD). At this moment I have a FreeBSD 2.2.6 system running which is
>> consuming 185M of swapspace... but it doesn't do anything... How can I
>> swapoff this swapspace so it'll clear this ?
>
>A few questions for you:
>1) Are you sure that the swap space is really in use?  "top" doesn't
>always report accurate current status.  Try "swapinfo" to see if it
>is really in use.
Unfortunately "swapinfo" confirms the amount "top" reported... instead of
the 185M that was reported yesterday now 194M is reported. Doing a "ps -auwx
| grep -i perl | more" shows a lot of processes that are no longer active
(all state "D"). Root is not able to kill these processes using the command
"kill -KILL `ps -auwx | grep -i perl | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`".
These processes stay in memory and I'm pretty sure these processes are
causing the memory consumption. These processes are all processes spawned by
Apache 1.3.1 (ordinary CGI) and should no longer be in memory. Is this an
Apache-bug on FreeBSD? My Linux-boxes running the exact same CGI-scripts
have no leaks...

Could it be caused by a misconfiguration in /etc/login.conf? I've made
modifications to this, because the number of processes seemed to be too
small at first... also made modifications to the memory usage settings for
daemon...

>3) If it is *really* important to clear out the swap, I think
>"vnconfig" might do what you want.  Take a look at "man vnconfig"
>to check it out.
Hmmmm... vnconfig shows some options that could do the trick, however
vnconfig uses /etc/vntab, which I don't have... my swap is defined in
/etc/fstab as:
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/sd0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0

Any ideas how I should use vnconfig?

Arjan