Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 07:05:18 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to add a new bootdevice to the new boot code ???

>I half suspect that what Justin had in mind at some point was a set of common
>code that is either #ifdef'ed or otherwise preprocessed to produce a
>standalone 'SCSI-CAM' system versus an 'ATA[PI]-CAM' system.  This would
>have the advantage of having all the common code together in one place and
>shared, while at compile time it built two seperate subsystems that were
>compiled specifically for the target peripheral bus with definitions to
>suit each so that "translation" was never used.

The plan has always been to migrate the SCSI knowledge in the XPT
layer into a 'personality' module leaving the generic portions of
the CAM XPT intact.  The personalities would be compiled in using
the "atapibus0" and "scbus0" keywords in config.  I don't think it
would be that hard, but it would require time I don't have right
now.

--
Justin