Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:43:04 -0800
From:      Jon Simola <jsimola@gmail.com>
To:        Kris McElroy <kmcelroy@duracom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw+dummynet

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:34:21 -0600, Kris McElroy <kmcelroy@duracom.net> wrote:
> We are wanting to do Bandwidth Shaping for our wireless users, I have read
> that FreeBSD with ipfw+Dummynet is one way to do this.  Is anyone on this
> list using IPFW + Dummynet in a WISP environment that has advice that they
> would like to share, should we go this route or is there something that you
> would recommend over doing this?

I've done similar, and it works great. Just remember that you can't
control the rate that the wireless customer sends, only how fast you
send data to them. So if/when they get infected with a virus that
blasts traffic out, it will render any traffic shaping at the head end
worthless.

If you've been doing wireless for a while, you probably already know
that, though :)

--
Jon Simola
Systems Administrator