Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 22:01:37 -0700
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lets Endorse KDE

"Jason C. Wells" wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> >> Is there a genuine possibility that KDE could be adopted as default[1]
> >> desktop?
> >
> >I would say "Time for a contest!"... 8-).  Be sure to include the
> >advocacy list in the announcement, Jordan...
>
> A contest would require lots of work. My original idea was simply to take
> something that is good and make it our own. Don't reinvent it. Don't tweak
> here and there. Just do it as is.

It wasn't the work required to conduct a contest that resulted in a poor
turnout of entrants; this work had already been done or was at least
well on the way.  The contest failed for lack of submissions.

The work required to tailor a reasonable desktop is considerable.
Assuming KDE is selected, tailoring kdm, the desktop, kpanel and the
default menu would make a good start.  Creating a custom theme is
relatively easy assuming familiarity with a text editor and The Gimp.
Basic theme information can be found here:

  http://home.clara.net/george.russell/kdescreenshots.html#howto

I would offer that tailoring KDE would not represent 'lots of work' to
someone competing to build the default FreeBSD desktop.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Remember parents; don't 'over shake'
  allenc@verinet.com   |   your infant.