Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:37:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joe <ibjoe@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sio boot / console configuration?

Hi,

I want to use a VT100 emulator program on my PC serial port
as the console for my FreeBSD machine.

And I would like to also have the sco (vga/keyboard) terminal
available too.

Best would be autodetect,
if the keyboard is plugged in it would use the sco terminal, but
if the keyboard is not plugged in it would use the sio terminal.

I think that I can do this from the boot prompt with the -P argument.

But I want to make that the default behavior. And when the keyboard
is not plugged in I would like to start output to sio terminal
at the lowest possible boot level. Dual (sco and sio) would be OK too.

Does anyone have any hints on how to do this?
So far all I can do is to use the sio to login after bootup.
I had to change this line in /etc/ttys
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100   on secure

Thanks,
Joe