Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 1:22:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      freebsd@ccstores.com (Jim Pazarena)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vt100 emulation

I have a program I wrote which uses low level termcap entries (as opposed
to higher level curses entries), and the screens I use are vt100.
I don't use the dec keyboard, and this is where I think my probem lies.

up/down/right/left/backspace from the screen sends

\E[A \E[B \E[C \E[D ^H respectfully

the termcap entry for a vt100 in /usr/share/misc/termcap is instead

\E0A \E0B \E0C \E0D \177

I changed the termcap entries to agree with what the screen sends,
and my program works fine.

running vi however screws up unless I change the termcap entry back to
the original entries.

Can someone please explain what may be going on here?

Oh yes, I removed the line in the termcap entry which is the
"initialization" line thinking that vi may be sending an init
string and re-programing the arrow keys, however it didn't change
the outcome. vi still screws up. One other clue is that the same
low-level termcap routine on SCO Unix works as expected *and* vi
does as well (their termcap entry agrees with my screen's output).
I'm trying to migrate totally away from SCO Unix, and this is my
last stumbling block.

Jim Pazarena        mailto:paz@qcislands.net
                    http://www.qcislands.net/paz