Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 18:54:10 +0200
From:      "Rufus Chapman (home)" <rufusc@iafrica.com>
To:        "'questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD 226 on Jaz drive

Hi there

After the article on FreeBSD in UK magazine Personal Computer World (March
1998, P258) I decided to load it on my PC as I am now using Digital UNIX on
a DEC Alpha at work, and it's been over 10 years since I last used UNIX
seriously.  So, my wilderness years are over (?) and I thought I'd load it
on my Jaz drive.

I have the old 1Gb drive, not a 2Gb one, attached via Iomega's own PCI SCSI
card.  I can make this a bootable drive, which I have, and now I have a Jaz
cartridge with a 500Mb bootable MS-DOS partition with the /bin dist of
2.2.6, and an unformatted 500Mb partition which I was going to use for
UNIX.

I downloaded the boot.flp and the fdimage.exe programs and created a boot
floppy, and my PC boots up FreeBSD fine - BUT - it doesn't seem to
recognise the SCSI adapter or the boot disc in the configuration menu - it
only gives me the choice of installing on one of my two IDE discs (which
are both crammed full with Windows 95 I'm afraid).

The Jaz Jet PCI adapter is not one of those listed on your supported
hardware list, so should I give up hope now, or can you offer any
suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation and Happy Easter
Rufus Chapman
Cape Town