Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2000 21:38:19 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCIOCGETCONF/PCIOCREAD requires write permission?

    >> Is there any reason why the FWRITE test cannot/should not be
    >> moved down into the 'case PCIOCWRITE' part of the switch? This
    >> would make both PCIOCGETCONF and PCIOCREAD work for readonly
    >> access to /dev/pci (which seems to me to be saner behaviour).

    Kenneth> At least with the PCIOCGETCONF, you need write
    Kenneth> permission, because it copies in patterns to match
    Kenneth> against.

Does that have to equate with write access? Since you aren't changing
anything (device-wise) it seems this should be a read-only thing (even
though you're actually writing into the kernel memory arena).

    Kenneth> As for PCIOCREAD, it only allows reading of PCI
    Kenneth> registers, so the question there is whether there are any
    Kenneth> potential security implications to allowing non-root
    Kenneth> users to read PCI registers.  If reading configuration
    Kenneth> registers caused performance degredation, for instance.

Yup, this dawned on me later. Meanwhile, though, I've been running with
the read-only PCIOCGETCONF patch I suggested and I haven't seen any
problems with it after close to a week of use. I've submitted that
version as a pair of pr's (one for the kernel, and one for pciconf).

--lyndon