Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 00:01:34 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "Joseph Scott" <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
Cc:        "advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More changes to new advocacy site.

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:29:54 -0700, Joseph Scott wrote:

>slashdot already.  I think it's still a little too early to spread word

Agree.

>2.  What are the capabilities for the site to grow and expand?

This is essential.. that the site can handle a reasonable amount of
load. Idially it would be best to have it hosted at freebsd.org, but I
am not sure how this could be worked out, specially since the new site
is running with MySQL.

This point has been brought up before. Using MySQL gives the site more
power/flexibility, but makes it more difficult to port, and on this
case, to get approval to run on someone elses computer (i.e.
freebsd.org).

>Do you have people who have
>offered to help at different levels ( like reviewing/auth'ing

This is one of the reasons why SlashDot has suceeded. There is a team
of people approving/trashing news.
We need something simmilar up/front.

Possibly a couple of categories:
-Approvers. People who can approve articles/notes entered in the
system.
-Coders. People to enhance functionality.

I don't think too much writing should be done in this site. Best
coordinate articles with FreebsdZine or daemon news.

>3.  What are the objectives of the site, my impression was that we were
>aiming for something of mix between slashdot.org and linuxtoday.com,
>with some relation to linux.com.

Given the number of FreeBSD related news are not that frequent we may
want to include other news of interest to the FreeBSD community.

In particular I like the idea of reviewing a FreeBSD site per week. In
particular smaller sites. Could be site with info about FreeBSD or
sites running on FreeBSD.