Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:26:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        rivers@dignus.com
Subject:   Re: libc shlib version

In article <200011140002.TAA00701@lakes.dignus.com>,
Thomas David Rivers  <rivers@dignus.com> wrote:

> asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami) wrote:
> > I really wish we could keep the two version numbers from a.out, so I
> > don't have to worry about stuff like this. :<
>
>  You can, if you will accept some restrictions:
>
>   Let's say the two numbers are the Version number and the Revision number.
>
>   And, let's furthermore say we will restrict ourselves to only 99
>  revisions per Version.
>
>   Then; let the Elf library number be:
> 	(100 * Version number)  +  Revision number
>
>   *poof*  two numbers...
>
>   i.e.  library version 10.20 would get 1020 as the Elf version number.

Nope, that wouldn't provide the desired benefits.  The whole point of
having two version numbers is that they are treated differently.  The
a.out dynamic linker looked for an exact match on the major version
number, and a >= match on the minor number.  Doing what you suggest
wouldn't accomplish that -- we'd still get the exact match on both
numbers.

This all was discussed to death in the mailing lists when we switched
to ELF, so pardon me if I refuse to let myself get drawn into another
long-winded rehash of it.

John