Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:49:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "SirDice" <sirdice@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: State of amd64 nVidia support in xorg 7.x?

> I'm wondering if there would be anything significant to be gained on
> the amd64 platform with an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 chipset by upgrading
> to xorg 7.x.  Does anyone have any info on the current state of xorg's
> nv driver in 7.x?  What about 3D acceleration and/or auxiliary output
> (I'd love to be able to send video out to my TV).

You probably won't gain anything apart from the 6 -> 7.x xorg upgrade.
NVidia still doesn't have a FreeBSD-AMD64 driver because there are some
essential kernel APIs missing. AFAIK this is being worked on by the
freebsd community but I have no idea about its current status. IIRC some
of the needed APIs are implemented in -CURRENT.

I'm still running FreeBSD-i386 on my AMD64 because of this. The i386
driver works very well on my setup (6600GT). You may want to look through
the NVNews freebsd archives for more information.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Cheers,

Remko C.