Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 02:15:16 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How stable is -current?

> 1. In general how stable is -current?  I know it goes through periods of
> instability, but assuming that I'm following the lists and know when not
> to build, could I put a 4.x box up and not be embarrassed?

I run my own machine off -current, have been doing so for months now,
and it's hardly an idle machine given the number of release builds and
other crap I run on it.  It's been a less painful -current than many
a -current I could think of in the past, that's for sure. :)

> 2. Our architecture is *highly* dependent on NFS. I know that the good
> work on NFS is happening in -current, which is why I'm considering it.
> How well does -current NFS mix with an almost all-Sun network?  Any
> plans on MFC'ing the NFS fixes to -stable?

Matt's submitted some patches for this which I've asked the core team
to review.  Anyone else looking for -stable relative NFS patches to
test should send Matt Dillon or I some email and we'll provide you with
the diffs if you'll provide us with the testing. :)

> 3. How good and how stable is SMP currently, and does -current offer any
> big advantages over -stable in SMP?

I think SMP is pretty good in either branch, though Luoqi and Alan
have been working to improve it in -current lately.

- Jordan