Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:03:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Mike Alich <hostmaster@cctinc.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: cvsup

On 19-Aug-99 Mike Alich wrote:
> I hope you can help.
>
> I am looking to install the cvsup program so I can update my version of
> FreeBSD and keep in sync with new updates.  I am currently running
> versions FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE #0: Tue Nov  3 20:51:49 EST 1998 .

Upgrade to 3.2-STABLE or 4.0-CURRENT, since the ports collection is only
designed/guaranteed to work with the latest -CURRENT and -STABLE branches. I
only use 3.2-STABLE with my Internet-connected machines.

It should work fine with versions going back to 3.0-RELEASE [ELF] (my theory,
*not* necessarily official ;). Before that, however, there is no guarantee.

> I got the port from my cdrom but I am getting a md5 checksum error when
> I try to run a "make" on it.  Also I have been trying to install
> modula-3-lib-3.6 and I am getting a 1 hunk error on a file in that.

Sounds like you have an outdated ports collection installed (MD5 checksum
errors usually mean the distfile has been changed, which almost guarantee that
the port will fail to build and/or install the programs). I suggest cvsup'ing
it. You can probably get the cvsup-bin package off ftp.freebsd.org and
install that then use cvsup to update your system. Check out
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ for the supfiles necessary.

Take care.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>