Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 13:06:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
Cc:        Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>, KDE FreeBSD List <kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] kdemultimedia stomps on graphics/mpeg-lib's .so files

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Lauri Watts wrote:

> The only application we've managed to come up with that actually uses it
> today is Gimp (however, the gimp-devel port also uses it.)

Ok, my suggestion of renaming the KDE mpeg lib was based on the assumption
that other software relied on the mpeg-lib in ports, and that it was "the"
mpeg lib.  If that's not the case, then I withdraw the suggestion.
However, it does open up another question: what do other systems link
gimp1 against?

If gimp1 *really* needs that specifc mpeg library, and it's the only
software that does, the temptation would be to build it as part of the
gimp build, and statically link it into gimp, solving the problem :-).

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories