Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 11:37:30 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        dg@Root.COM, mark@quickweb.com
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, erich@uruk.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Memory probe(s) in FreeBSD

>> >Perhaps support
>> >for all old boot blocks should be dropped.  It is reasonable to require
>> >that the (interface) version number of the bootblocks is >= that of the
>> >kernel to reduce the number of cases.
>>
>>    I strongly disagree with this, BTW.
>
>Just to agree with DG here, my computer has less base mem than the kernel
>expects, and it isn't an old computer -> it's a dual PPro from digital.
>Nevertheless, it's BIOS basemem is only 635K, which is < RTC basemem of
>640K. If BSD didn't listen to the BIOS value from the bootloader, chances
>are my system would be toast with fbsd...

This is almost the opposite case to what David is disagreeing with.  You're
saying that you need new bootblocks.  Very old bootblocks didn't supply the
BIOS memory sizes.  I doubt that you actually need them.  -stable doesn't
even implement using the BIOS basemem.

>Not to mention the older 386
>and 486 machines I run -- who knows what old bootloader stuff these use!

It continues to work.  If you update the kernel, it is very easy to update
the kernel at the same time (use disklabel -B).  The requirement that
new bootblocks works with old kernels ensure that the new bootblocks can
boot the backup copy of the old kernel.  If you forget to update the
bootblocks, then it is easy to boot the old kernel using the old boot
blocks to fix things up.  Note that bootblock interface changes very
rarely (in fact it hasn't changed, except for extensions, since it was
introduced 2 years ago), but it is a good idea to keep them up to date
anyway to pick up bug fixes (bootblocks more than a month old have
serious bugs).

Bruce