Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 11:19:40 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports INDEX

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 01:50:31PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> On 28-Dec-99 Gary Kline wrote:
> >       In the mid//late-1980's I read that Sun had around 7,000 ports
> >       availahble.  This seemed like it made the Suns capable of almost
> >       anything the user might want to do, assuming that he had the
> >       major $$$$.$$ for these ports.
> >
> >       We're not that far from the 7K mark; we ought to have 4 000+
> >       by the turn of the century; that's really getting up there!
> >
> >       gary
>
> Nah. We can break 5,000 by Jan. 1, 2001. No problem. ;)

	Well, if Steve is right, we'll be over 4,000 by The Turn,
	which would be just peachy.  (5K, so much the better, of course:)

	Whoa!  you know, with _that_ many we'll hafta hire our own
	sysadmins to handle the upgrades and so forth ;)

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix