Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2014 16:36:22 +0400
From:      Andrew Rybchenko <arybchenko@solarflare.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Choice of private ioctl approach

Hello,

we need to add private ioctl to the driver sfxge(4) to make FW update,
do internal diagnostics commands etc.
We see at least two approaches in other drivers:
  1. SIOCGPRIVATE_0/ SIOCGPRIVATE_1 on net device
  2. dedicated char device with its own ioctl's

Is there any recommendations on which way is preferred?

Thanks,
Andrew.
The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended f=
or the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error, pleas=
e notify the sender immediately and delete the message. Unless you are an a=
ddressee (or authorized to receive for an addressee), you may not use, copy=
 or disclose to anyone this message or any information contained in this me=
ssage. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this mess=
age is strictly prohibited.