Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 23:54:23 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   make world question

Why is a make depend done as part of make world?  Unless I'm missing
something, all of the binaries would be rebuilt anyway due to the .o's
not being there, it is a waste of time.  Can one safely omit it for
"clean" builds on "virgin" /usr/src trees?

The order that is there now should cause the includes to be installed
first, and then the libraries built and installed and then all the
binaries build and installed.  In this case, what does depend buy you?
What subtle thing, if any, am I missing?

Warner