Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:36:59 -0000
From:      "Mark Staudinger" <mark@staudinger.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Apache2 (2.0.36) + ssl Q (a bit OT)

Naturally I tried the appropriate apache list, but it seems to be mostly dead.

Anyone running Apache 2.0.36 or thereabouts with SSL enabled, on FreeBSD
4.4-STABLE or later?  I'm not having any luck with using my old certificates
(self-signed) that I was using with Apache 1.3.17, and there's no apparent way
to generate certificates with the source distribution of 2.0.36.

It looks as if they are using a ported version of OpenSSL 0.9.6a, however
building 0.9.6X from source seems to require apache 1.3.X to be installed, and
I'm really not sure if making new certificates for a 1.3.X server will solve
the problem.

I have the relevant error messages from the openssl client attempting to
connect to the server, if anyone needs them. The server is responding on port
443, but no connection attempts or error messages are logged via Apache, since
the certificate is never verified.

Advice?  Pointers?

-=Mark