Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 23:46:17 -0500
From:      "Mark A. Schwenk" <mas@wellthot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCO Unix 3.2.2 Binary Support (IBCS2 Emulation) - What am I missing?

Greetings!

I am evaluating the use of FreeBSD for some clients of mine and am
intrigued by the
claim of support for SCO UNIX 3.2.2 binaries. I have enabled support in
/etc/rc.conf
and have tried starting to piece together appropriate support in
/compat/ibcs2 but
have not successfully run ANY binary pulled off the SCO system. I have tried
	banner, bc, cal, logname, tar
Running file on these binaries shows that they are 80386 COFF executables.
Execution of these files results in an Abort trap (2.2.2 system) or Abort
(3.0 system) message.

>From the mail archives I gleaned some hints that the following might be
required under /compat/ibcs2
(although it seems strange that /compat/ibcs2/dev/null should be a regular
file):

# ls -lR /compat/ibcs2
total 2
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Sep 22 14:27 dev
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Sep 22 14:38 shlib

/compat/ibcs2/dev:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         9 Sep 22 14:21 XOR -> /dev/null
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         7 Sep 22 14:26 nfsd -> socksys
-rw-rw-r--  1 root  wheel         0 Sep 22 14:26 null
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         9 Sep 22 14:27 socksys -> /dev/null
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   41,   1 Sep 22 14:27 spx

/compat/ibcs2/shlib:
#

Searching the mail archives I see that some have successfully run a number
of major SCO
applications. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!

-Mark Schwenk