Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2008 01:08:59 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Johan A. van Zanten" <johan@giantfoo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building FreeBSD from source on OS X?

On 2007-12-31 16:33, "Johan A. van Zanten" <johan@giantfoo.org> wrote:
> Greetings.
> Recently i acquired an intel-based Mac mini and would like to build
> FreeBSD on it, but the mini needs to be (always) running OS X, because
> of other duties (DVR) it has.
>
> Is it possible to build FreeBSD from source on OS X running on intel
> hardware?
>
> I've tried the straight forward "make" in the source area, but it
> appears that OS X's make is actually gnu make, and it doesn't like the
> FreeBSD makefiles. I have the NetBSD pkgsrc system setup, and have a
> "bmake" which gets a little further when trying to build
> /usr/src/usr/bin/make, but still has some problems.
>
> Before i go any further with this, i wanted to check and see if this
> is even possible.

I think one of the best options right now is to use Parallels, or some
other virtualization system.

BTW, I'm trying to 'port' FreeBSD make to make it buildable with
autoconf, and automake, so that it is easier to run freebsd-make on
non-FreeBSD systems, but there's still a lot of work before this is
usable for building a full FreeBSD source tree.

- Giorgos