Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 13:10:30 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Johan Larsson <gozer@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bootmanager -> Bootmanager -> Bootmanager.. :-)

> Hi, i have a rather peculiar problem. The thing is that the bootmanager on
> one of our computers loads a bootmanager itself (at least it seems like
> it). Because first it comes up a choice of:
>
> 	F1 Freebsd
> 	Default: F1
>
> and if i press F1 the same screen comes up again but now the default
> choice if F?.

This indicates that the geometry that you've used when partitioning the
disk doesn't agree with the geometry that the BIOS thinks you have.

Boot the install floppy with '-v' at the boot: prompt.  When the
initial sysinstall screen comes up, hit Scroll Lock, then use the
cursor keys to scroll back.  You'll soon come to a listing of BIOS
geometries; you need to set the disk geometry to match these when
you're slicing the disk up.

If you're *really* lucky, you might be able to tweak the BIOS geometry
setting to match the one you already used for the disk.

Note that if you're using an Adaptec SCSI controller, you should frob
the "extended translation for disks > 1GB" option to ON for FreeBSD to
be able to install/boot from the disk.