Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 07:47:25 -0400
From:      "Matthew A. Gessner" <mgessner@aristar.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        "Dennis R. Conley" <conley@eecs.ukans.edu>, sln@public.jn.sd.cn, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Config mouse in XF86

Michael Smith wrote:

> Dennis R. Conley stands accused of saying:
>
> > I just stumbled through this problem yesterday. Rebuilding a new
> > kernel didn't help, then I noticed that the original line appeared
> > in the GENERIC config file as:
> >
> > device psm0 at isa? port disabled "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr
> >                          ^^^^^^^^
> >
> > The keyword "disabled" must be removed, another kernel built and
> > then the mouse will work fine.
>
> Actually, the device is configure disabled so that you _don't_ have to
> build a new kernel; just boot with the -c flag once you're installed on
> the disk and say 'enable psm0' and 'quit' at the config> prompt.
>
> The changes are recorded by the 'dset' program during the boot process, and
> you're up and running.

MAN!  I wish I had known about this 3 months ago!!!

Does this apply to things like ed0 and sio2, too??

I went through a LOT of trouble b/c someone on this mailing list told me
that I had to recompile the kernel!

Now that I'm done complaining about it, it was a useful thing to know
how to rebuild the kernel :)

Matt

P.S. Thanks, Mike!

--