Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:34:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        proff@suburbia.net (Julian Assange)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I wrong or is this just stupid?r

> Keeping in mind that install is before ${CLEANDIR},  I believe the idea
> is to remake the tools _with_the_new_tools_ before using them to remake
> other things. i.e if you upgraded to gcc2.7.2 then first make gcc2.7.2
> with your old gcc, then remake it with the new one.

Yes.  This is the "stage" idea behind GCC.

The idea is that you compile the compiler with the compiler so that it
doesn't have the bugs that it has.

It's an amusing tautology from the days when you compiled the compiler
by hand-coding the assembly from the source, or by using someone else's
compiler which you didn't trust.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---