Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:24:57 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Turning off HAL for xorg-server

Tony Sweeney wrote:
> On 11/17/2014 12:35, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Hi, Reference my:
> >>
> >> With current src & ports & an /etc/X11/xorg.conf freshly produced
> >> on FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT 2 days back by: X -configure I had to Add
> >> hald_enable="YES" to my rc.conf before internal & external keyboards
> >> & mice would resume working.
> >>
> >> I did not previously need hald_enable in /etc/rc.conf for partitions
> >> on same PC running X on 8.4-RELEASE, 9.3-RELEASE, 10.0-RELEASE.
> >>
> >> Most users will want an X PC that by default works with keyboard & mouse,
> >> FreeBSD defaults should support that IMO, as minority higher skilled X purists
> >> can easily comment out input if they are building a non standard PC.
> >>
> >> PS FYI I have long had devd ON, on all 4 FreeBSD partitions & releases,
> >> (in case that makes a difference).
> >
> > Since I added hald_enable="YES, X -configure always crashes !
>
> This currently seems to crash no matter what, it's even in the Wiki:
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Tested_hardware_matrix
>
> This a little shabby, à mon avis (moue)
>
> Tony.
>

> > (without -configure normal X input works).
> > To investigate I'll comment out some mounts & add background_fsck="YES".

Some helpful text can be appended to that wiki please, if someone
has write access:

(I tested with src & sys built from todays current src/ & ports X from a
few days or weak back)

X -configure only crashes if both devd & hald are running,
if one stop either hald or devd before running X -configure
the OS does Not crash :-)

As I use devd for lots of things, it's normaly on here, (I guess
it is for many people), so till someone else solves X -configure,
wiki & README type advice should be:

	su
	cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d ; ./hald stop
	X -configure
	mv $HOME/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
	cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d ; ./hald start	# to get keyboard & mouse
	echo "now edit or tune /etc/X11/xorg.conf as normal if desired."

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix C Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
 Indent previous with "> ".  Interleave reply paragraphs like a play script.